Sunday, November 27, 2011

November 27, 2011

I love turkey. But turkey is not as popular here as in the states and I do miss it. You can find it, but for a price. But this was a turkey week! Wednesday, we had a turkey dinner (lunch for Latin people) at 4:30 after school. It was fun. But one of the “North Americans” got up and explained to people what Thanksgiving means to those of us from the North. Out of about 40 people, just a handful of us were from the states. Most though, had stories of being in the states and seeing people celebrate Thanksgiving. It holds very positive feelings for people here that a day is actually set aside for giving thanks. Some do celebrate here, but not like in the states. Possibly because November is just so packed full of Panamanian holidays, they really don’t need more. Three Independence days, a memorial type day, then Mothers’ Day the first week of December (a day off where everything is once again closed down). SO, we did have school all day on Thursday. Just seems strange to get up and go to work on Thanksgiving. Then on Thanksgiving Day, we went to a “SMALL” gathering of about 90 or so of us. We had a wonderful traditional meal and ate at tables set up outside. Ahhh, to have my traditional dinner while in shorts and a sleeveless tshirt. Only had to worry about bug bites and not frost bite. After we got home, we started laughing because Wayne realized that we were probably the oldest people there. We don’t feel as though we are older than MOST if not ALL. That is a good thing. But when a lot of my friends are pregnant, you gotta realize that you are older.
There was no school this past Monday. Once again, like last year we have had too much rain, and there is a water shortage??? Yep, go figure on that one. Technically there is a reason. I just find it really funny.
No Black Friday here (thank goodness from the stories I hear). Friday is just another normal workday for people here.
On Friday, we went to our friends’ place and they had left over turkey we munched on. So three nights, three turkey dinners. I was happy!
Had my first Spanish lesson. I just have to learn. I realize that I have learned a ton since being here. What is frustrating is that I just can’t “hear” it nor can I put together a correct sentence. But give me a multiple choice test and I can ace it. But that is not going to get me very far. I have a few phrases that I can say very well. Apparently, I say them so well that when I use one of my phrases, the other person starts talking me to like I understand. Then I can’t even pick out a single word. Hopefully I get better and fast!
I am off school Monday. It is the third Independence Day for November. Crazy. All the RED/WHITE/BLUE decorations in the mall are getting mixed up with the RED/GREEN Christmas stuff. Then, it is also graduation for the public schools since their school year ends in a week and their “summer” break is until March. Too many colors!

No comments:

Post a Comment